MCKENZIE JOHNSTONE4789 Minarets Avenue
Fishkill, New York 01242
Senior Buyer (Shoes/Accessories) with a regional retailer that will benefit from an impressive 18-year history of contributions to gross margin improvement, comparable store sales and product development.
- Drove gross margins from 41.7% to 45.6% to capture record $860,000 net profit.
- Exceeded comparable store sales increases with 13% departmental improvement (storewide average, 1.4%).
- Set up and launched shoe departments for six new stores; generated comparable business increase of 15.4%.
- Reversed history of shoe losses, delivering overall increase of $935,000 in profit (from negative 5-figure loss).
- Built department volume from $6.9 million to more than $10 million with a 3.9% increase in gross margins.
- Contributed an average of 48% net profit to store's total net income.
- Introduced and promoted several items that earned "key item" status, a first for the department.
- Served on EDI Implementation Committee and Fast-Track Warehousing Committee (reduced merchandise flow through warehouse from 5 days to 48 hours).
- Appointed to national Buying Office Steering Committee, with extensive domestic and foreign travel for private label programs for member stores (projected sales of $80 million for shoes).
Senior Shoe Buyer: Recruited to turn around underperforming department for $450 million retailer with 42 store in the New England area. Exceeded all performance benchmarks as detailed above.
Clothing, Etc., New York, New York, 3/94-present
Senior Buyer: Slated for fast-track promotion as Management Trainee, Assistant Buyer, Associate Buyer, Buyer and Senior Buyer. Instrumental in increasing sales from $2.5 million to $8.5 million during buying tenure
Regional Retailers, Amherst Massachusetts, 5/80-3/94
Expertise in private label programs, multistore buying, new store launch and domestic/import buying. Accomplished in all aspects of sales promotions (ROP, direct mail, newspaper standard advertising catalog vehicles), inventory tracking, EDI reordering, vendor negotiations, and competitive pricing. Hands-on manager with skills in supervising and coaching buying staff.
University of Texas: Concentration in Engineering with strong preparation in Business Finance and Marketing.
Available for Relocation